Sunday, July 20, 2008

Homemaking and Such

That's where I've been. Last weekend my parents came down with the truck (thank you, thank you!) and my dad and Kevin picked up the two bookcases and loveseat we had bought from Ikea. Can I just pause a moment here to share how much I love Ikea? The furniture is reasonably priced, but holds up soooo well. Our guestroom is outfitted with furniture that was bought from Ikea...20 years ago! Not only is it still serviceable, but no way does it look that old. So yeah, living within half an hour from Ikea is a shopping fantasy fulfilled.

So we had help picking up the furniture. And also putting togetherthe grill that was our third anniversary wedding gift to each other. We both forgot to write about that, too....does that make us "old" married folk? Married for 3 years, together for 7. Back to the grill...I've been wanting a grill for a few years. It's Virginia law, though, that if you live on the second floor of a building, you cannot have a grill on the patio. A law that many break, but I myself am always a law abiding citizen and so... no grill. It was one of the very first purchases we made after moving into this house.

While the guys were out picking up furniture and a new lawnmower and putting together the grill, us girls went on a shopping spree. Mom bought for us a new floor lamp, a table lamp, and an area rug. I completed the ensemble by purchasing a few pillows from Kohls. The resulting room is my absolute favorite room in the house. I have to get pictures up here, but I haven't quite gotten that far yet.

So that's the homemaking part, now on the such...

I have a new job working as a tutor. I was supposed to have training Thursday and Friday of last week, but "training" evolved very quickly into "working" and now this coming week, I'll be into my regular routine of working evenings, Monday-Wednesday and Fridays. This will be a change, and something I haven't quite figured out yet. I'll be leaving for work around the time Kevin is getting home, so we'll have less time together in the evenings, and I won't be around to cook dinner. We'll have to figure that one out as we go along.

And I'm halfway through a 4-week summer course. This has proven to be pretty intensive, as it's a full graduate course load in four weeks. I'm spending lots of time on the computer, but definitely not for my own entertainment.

Wish me luck as I jump back into a work routine.

1 comment:

Janette said...

So, I am wondering what your new career will be.
Teaching, in one way or another, is always a challenge. I just cannot seem to get away from it!
I have enjoyed reading your blog.
~a Very Old Retired Army Wife