Sunday, July 06, 2008

Restart

It's been almost a week since I've had internet access and thus the ability to check and respond to emails, blog, search for addresses in a new city, or just plain surf the net. Do you know how reliant upon those things I have become? NOT having it has been challenging.

While we are technically in the DC suburbs area (isn't ALL of Northern Virginia?) you wouldn't know it by looking out my window. Or walking through the neighborhood. Or even driving a few miles in any direction. It's alot of wooded areas, and quiet streets, and hills. It's been awhile since I've lived in an area with hills. Very pretty. The house is fantastic, though we have to do some painting we hadn't anticipated. Fortunately, though, just in two small bedrooms, so it's not too big of a job. Kevin's working on the trim work as I write and I'll paint the rest tomorrow while he's at work.

The hard part is that alot is still in boxes. Boxes which cannot be unpacked until the two rooms which need paint are painted (a project that was started today and will hopefully be finished by the end of the week), and the bookcases we're purchasing from Ikea arrive (Dad to the rescue with his truck next weekend). I am not a patient person. In fact, I sense that I'm starting to become an irritating whirlwind. My "let's do it now!" attitude has led to some small disgruntlements around the house. Kevin is being very patient with me, but I also think he'll be glad to go back to work tomorrow, where he's not constantly exposed to my "creative brainstorms."

And so here we are. It doesn't feel like home yet and I'm still thinking "I need to ____________" at every turn, but we're here, safe and sound.

Restart.

1 comment:

Ruth Anne Adams said...

To the artist, your new-to-you home is a blank slate. To another, it's a to-do list.

So...did he carry you over the threshhold?